What’s the median monthly mortgage payment of home owners?
$1,015, according to the American Housing Survey, conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau. The survey reveals a range of data, from who is living in homes to characteristics of the homes themselves.
The survey is conducted only during odd numbered years. 2015 numbers will be available during the next year.
Among the survey’s findings:
- Home owners paid 2.3 percent more for their homes -- with the median purchase of price of homes $110,000. Meanwhile, new construction median purchase prices were higher at over $235,000.
- The median monthly expenses for home owners was $151 for real estate taxes; $121 for electricity; and $58 for property insurance.
- The median year occupied homes were constructed was 1974.
- 72.5% of the owner-occupied homes had central air and 46.3% had working carbon monoxide detectors.
- The highest percentage of homes had three bedrooms and two or more bathrooms.
- The most popular selected home amenities were porch, deck, balcony, or patio; telephone available; separate dining room; and usable fireplace.
“The last five years remind us how central housing is to each of us personally, to the fiscal health of our cities and counties, and the national economy,” says Kurt Usowski, HUD’s deputy assistant secretary for economic affairs. “From the American Housing Survey, we can see why people chose to move, how often homes need repairs, and the extent to which housing costs are outpacing income growth. All this information can help inform policymaking around continued recovery in the U.S. and in metropolitan areas around the country.”