How to get more $$ from selling home without spending any $$ (or very little)
October 16th, 2017
Let's face it. Sometimes many of us experience financial hard times and we want to sell a property and have very little or no funds. That is when you need to, and still can get the most possible return on your property by taking care of many little things that will improve the value of the home you are selling. Here is a list of some:
- Unclutter - Get rid of stuff, hold a garage sale, clean those closets. Give it away or throw away things you will never use.
- Clean the backyard well or get someone else to help.
- Trim the edges of your lawn. Get rid of old ugly bushes and trees too close to your house. Let the house come out. You’ll love the results on this one. If you can, buy a few plants with flowers and place them in the front of the house.
- Use Clorox on the caulking on bathrooms to get rid of dark mold or remove & replace caulking if necessary.
- Get rid of utensils or supplies on top of kitchen counters. Remove dust everywhere and clean, clean, clean. Make it smell fresh. Also, don't forget the windows.
- Power wash the exterior of the house, driveway, sidewalk.
- Take family pictures out and replace, if you have, with neutral motifs, landscapes. If you don't have any that's fine, the less the better.
The above effort will pay you well but will not get top price for your home. If finances allow it, spend your money on items that will pay back much more than the investment $ that you spend to maximize your net profit. If your budget allows it, consider to:
- Repair or replace any item that obviously needs work or replacement, like a leaky roof, leaky water heater.
- Paint in & out the house with neutral colors like beige and white baseboards. Check model homes for color combinations, avoid drastic looks and white walls.
- Change small hardware: door knobs and cabinet handles.
- Change toilet seats or whole toilets if necessary.
- Plant seasonal flowers in front of the house and the backyard.
Make a list of updates and improvements and give it to your Realtor. They will be effectively be put to use marketing your home. Those points are invaluable.