Twelve tips to sell your home
August 22nd, 2011
There are few things more frustrating to a seller than a home that sits on the market. It's stressful to keep a house in showing condition, and not selling can cost you lots of money.
Use these tips as a quick guide to better your chances at selling your house in a timely fashion.
- Sit down with your Texas REALTOR® and evaluate your listing price. Visit open houses in your neighborhood. Are similar homes priced lower? An overpriced home is destined to sit on the market too long.
- Do whatever it takes to be away from your home during showings and
- Ask your Texas REALTOR® for feedback on how your home shows, and ask him to solicit other agents' advice. Feedback from their clients can really help.
- If you intend to hold an open house, consider doing so on a weeknight. Competition may be lower, and you'll attract the interest of buyers who may not be available on the weekend.
- Help promote your property. Talk about your home to everyone you know. Look for other ways to get the word out, too, even if your agent is doing a lot to promote your house.
- If you're really motivated, you can offer perks to buyers, such as a cash bonus or help with closing costs.
- Neutralize your color scheme. Most buyers prefer neutral colors that make it easier to imagine a new home as their own.
- Consider offering an increased commission or a bonus for your listing agent as extra incentive. If you do so, amend your listing contract to reflect the change, and be sure those details are added to the multiple listing service (MLS). Buyer agents will also be inspired to give your house extra attention.
- If your REALTOR® has a video tour of the house, watch the tape as if you were a prospective buyer … you may be surprised at what you see.
- Fix lingering problems, such as the dripping faucet or the door that doesn't quite close right.
- Clean and de-clutter—neat, organized houses sell faster than those that look too lived-in.
- It's not about you. Buyers want to imagine their family in the house. If your house shows an abundance of your personality, it may dissuade the buyer.
There are many other things you can do to hasten the sale of your property, no matter the condition of the housing market. Make sure you consult with your Texas REALTOR® first.
If you have any questions please feel free to call or email me @ email@example.com
Disclaimer : The views and opinions expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Houston Association of REALTORS®